NFA Freedom Alliance
- Founded in 2014
- Todd Rathner
The NFAFA is the strongest direct action/lobbying organization working at the state and federal level to ease restrictions on the ownership, manufacture, sale, and use of items regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA).
- Identify states where NFA items are illegal and “defense to prosecution” (DTP) is the only protection for NFA owners.
- Work to repeal and replace “DTP” with statutes that affirmatively protect ownership of NFA weapons.
- Identify states that do not allow hunting with suppressors and enact legislation to allow such activities.
- Remove state-level prohibitions against the possession of NFA items.
March 30, 1939 United States v Miller – Argued
May 15, 1939 United States v Miller – Decided
What is the 1934 National Firearms Act ?
- June 26, 1934
- strict government regulation and tax of machine guns, short-barreled rifles, and silencers
- imposed a tax on the manufacturing, selling, and transporting of firearms listed in the law
- 1968 Haynes v. United States effectively gutted the National Act of 1934
- response to gangster culture
- Prohibition-era violence
- attempted assassination of President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933
- advent of the “getaway car”
Another federal law soon followed in the National Firearms Act of 1938, which required the licensing of interstate gun dealers.