Winchester Repeating Arms Company

founded in 1866
New Haven, Connecticut

  •  1855 the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company
    – Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson partnership
    – Norwich, Connecticut
    – largest stockholder was Oliver Winchester
  • 1856 moved to New Haven
  • 1856 Volcanic Repeating Arms Company went bankrupt
  • 1857 Winchester and partner John M. Davies purchased the assets
    – New Haven Arms Company
  • 1860 Benjamin Henry perfected the .44 Henry cartridge
  • 1860 Henry rifle based loosely on the Volcanic to use the new ammunition
    – manufactured by the New Haven Arms Company
  • 1866 reorganized as Winchester Repeating Arms Company
  • Model 1866
  • Model 1873 the first Winchester center fire cartridge, the .44-40 WCF
    “Gun That Won the West”
  • December 1880 Oliver Winchester died
  • 1881 his son William Wirt Winchester died
    – his widow , Sarah Winchester, built the Winchester Mystery House.
  • 1883-1898 John Browning worked with Winchester Repeating Arms Company
  • Winchester had borrowed heavily to finance its massive expansion
  • 1931 went into receivership
  • December 22, 1931 bought at bankruptcy auction by the Olin family’s Western Cartridge Company
  • 1944 reorganized as the Winchester-Western Division of Olin Industries
  • World War II produced the M1 Garand rifle
  • post-war  first civilian manufacturer of the M14 rifle

Winchester Repeating Arms Company

(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)