SIG Sauer

 founded in 1985
Virginia, New Hampshire

Old World Sig

  •  founded in 1853 in
    – Friedrich Peyer im Hof (1817–1900)
    – Heinrich Moser (1805-1874)
    – Johann Conrad Neher (1818-1877)
  • 1860 awarded contract to produce 30,000 Prelaz-Burnand rifles
  • 1860 company name was changed to Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft
    (SIG, German for “Swiss Industrial Company”)
  • 1947 SIG P210 pistol was developed
    – single-action semi-automatic
  • 1949 adopted by the Swiss military as “Pistole 49”
  • 1970s SIG purchased J. P. Sauer and Sohn
    – renamed  SIG Sauer
  • 1977 – 1980 Browning BDA, amodified SIG Sauer P220 design was produced for the Browning Arms
    –  the first SIG Sauer P220 type sold in the US
  • Swiss law limits the ability of Swiss companies to export firearms
    – have to use a foreign partner

SIG in the USA

  • January 1985 established SIGARMS, in Tyson’s Corner, Virginia
    – to import the P220 and P230 models into the US
  • 1987 moved to a larger facility in Herndon, Virginia
    – P225, P226 and P228
  • 1990 moved to Exeter, New Hampshire
  • 1992 production began on the P229
  • 1996 SIG Sauer Academy in Epping, New Hampshire
  • 2000 became known as Swiss Arms
    – still using the SIG Sauer brand
  • 2007, SIGARMS changed its name to SIG Sauer Inc
  • Sig 556
  • 2014 new corporate headquarter and production facility in Newington, New Hampshire
    – 206,000-square-foot
  • 2015 expanded to include suppressors, optics, ammo and airguns
  • January 2017 awarded US Army contract for the P320
  • July 12, 2018 Texas Department of Public Safety (TXDPS) used the SIG SAUER P320
  • 2019 Swiss Arms was renamed SIG SAUER AG
  •  one-third of law enforcement in the United States use SIG firearms
  • June 4, 2020 closing factory Eckernförde, Germany

SIG SAUER, Inc.
72 Pease Boulevard
Newington, NH 03801

603-610-3000

sigsauer.com

(Visited 6 times, 1 visits today)