Western Cartridge Company

founded in 1898 – 1944
East Alton, Illinois

Cartridges made by Western are stamped WCC

  • 1886 Franklin W. Olin received an engineering degree from Cornell University
  • 1892 one of several investors in the Equitable Powder Company in East Alton, Illinois
  • 1893 they made blasting powder for coal mining in southern Illinois
  • 1898 Olin formed Western Cartridge Company
    – manufactured rifle powder and shotgun shells
  • 1900 Union Cap and Chemical Company (UCC)
    – formed with the Austin Cartridge Company (Ohio)
  • 1907 purchased the Alliance Cartridge Company
  • forerunner of the Olin Corporation (1944)
  • 1931 Western Cartridge Company acquired the Winchester Repeating Arms Company
  • 1935 formed Winchester-Western
  •  World War II produced 3 billion rounds of ammunition
  • 1944 Olin businesses were brought together as Olin Industries, Inc.

Western Cartridge Company

(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)