Sharps Rifle Manufacturing

created on October 9, 1851
Hartford, Connecticut

  • 1848 – Christian Sharps (1810–1874), patented his rifle
    – used paper cartridges
  • 1850 first contract for 5,000 rifles
  • 1851  manufacturing started
  • second contract for 15,000 rifles
    – purchased 25 acres in Hartford, Connecticut for a factory building
  • 1853 Christian Sharps left the Company
  • 1855-1876 manufacturing was moved to Hartford
  • 1872 Sharps introduced the .50-90 Sharps cartridge
  • 1876 moved to Bridgeport, Connecticut
  • 1878 the last rifle made y Sharps
    – Sharps-Borchardt Model 1878

 

(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)